Monday, February 2, 2009

The Bomb


The first time I donned a bomber jacket, Handsome-then-boyfriend, looked at me, his heart jumping backflips, and said, "You look like a Rude Girl!"

"A rude what?" I asked, not knowing anything about Mod culture and lingo. In his early college days, Handsome used to wear skinny ties and an army-green parka, and he scooted around on a Vespa.

So when I spotted this Juicy Couture rendition of a bomber jacket, I had to get it. Heck, it was only seven bucks. And I desperately needed something for those chilly park days with the Caped Crusader. My pretty lady coats, all made pre-motherhood, were being stained to death by peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sliced apples.

At the store, I slipped the bomber jacket on and did a few twists and turns in front of the mirror. The coat was nice and heavy. One requirement met. It fit nicely. Another requirement met. But... Something wasn't quite right... Don't get me wrong, the jacket had potential. But it just wasn't quite me.

First of all, this bomber jacket looked like it had shunned its raucous friends and joined a sorority of cheerleaders. I mean, what was up with the hot pink label and heart sewn inside??? And the mega plastic buttons--they looked like they belonged to a cartoon character. And the outer flap was annoyingly in the way every time used the zipper. There was also the issue of two large holes on both sides of the jacket--it looked like the fabric had frayed apart at the seams.

But with all those problems, I still knew that the bomber jacket was mine. 

Let's see what I did...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, can't wait to see what you do!

Lauren said...

Okay... Juicy Couture jacket for 7 bucks??? That's a find! You could ebay that for like, double, triple even quadruple the amount! But instead I am looking forward to seeing how you recreate it instead!

Lady J said...

Wishing you the best of luck on such a great venture.
Long ago I once read about a woman who made a resolution to not buy any new clothes in a year. I was 20-something and childless at the time with my salary burning a hole in my pocket at the time. "Why?!" I cried, "why do such a thing?? Voluntarily??"
Now, I have successfully completed one year and I'm on to year two. Yes, I cheated and did buy one t-shirt last year and my mom bought me a pair of (AWESOME) yoga pants, but I think I can forgive my slip.
I'm rooting for you Cindi-Trash (can this be your nick name??)
Can't wait to see the "new" jacket.

Garbage Cinderella said...

Dear MamaBug,
Honey, you can call me anything you want since you're a dedicated reader of this blog. After all, aren't you simply repurposing my name? :) Good luck with your challenge, too!